Foot massage stimulates blood circulation, promotes relaxations, and improves numerous health conditions. It is considered that massaging your feet 10 – 15 minutes per night before going to bed can significantly improve your overall health.
For years, many studies have been carried out on the therapeutical benefits of foot massage and touch. Their aim was to determine the psychological and physical benefits of massage on plenty of health ailments and conditions.
Studies show: Foot massage plays a vital role in improving overall health
- In 2014, a study was carried out on the geriatric population and it showed that a 15-minute massage can lead to an improved psychological, physical, and emotional state.
- In 2015, a study was done on Chinese massage and it indicated that a 10-minute massage can promote the parasympathetic (relaxation) response of the body. Moreover, it also reduced heart rate.
- The same year, a study on self-acupressure showed that a massage can relieve the symptoms of various health conditions, such as nausea, allergies, pain, stress, vomiting, and so on.
- In 2014, a study was done on infants who suffer from gastroesophageal reflux disease and it showed that 30-minute massage therapy can decrease the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease and stress in infants and increase their weight.
- A study was done on diabetic patients with peripheral neuropathy and it showed that Thai foot massage can enhance their balance, range of motion, and foot sensation.
- Surgical patients usually suffer from post-operative pain. It is considered that a 5-minute foot massage can relieve post-operative pain and improve vital signs, especially in cancer patients.
- Pre-operative anxiety is another common problem that surgical patients experience. A 2014-study indicated that a 20-minute massage for 4 days can reduce anxiety. Moreover, the study also showed that pre-operative anxiety can be reduced by rubbing the foot with oil for a minute.
- Foot massage on patients with dementia significantly improves their alertness, mood, and relaxation.
Foot massage before going to bed
The best time to have a foot massage is at night. A 2013 study showed that foot massage is most beneficial after doing an exercise. The reason for this is that the massage effects are greater after strenuous activity.
The benefits of foot massage are reaped at the end of the day when all the activities are finished. Nights are the best time to relax and nurture yourself.