Excess production of melanin in the skin leads to dark spots, blemishes, patches, and other face marks. If there are injuries on the skin, the body produces melanin to speed up healing. This can lead to the overproduction of melanin, which in turn causes darkening of the skin or hyperpigmentation.
Causes of hyperpigmentation
Some of the most common causes of hyperpigmentation include:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Overexposure to sun
- Use of certain medications
- Sleep deprivation
- Lack of vitamins
10 natural treatments of dark spots
There is a variety of natural remedies that can help you get rid of dark spots and blemishes from your face, including:
Lemon juice can easily treat dark spots on the face. It is rich in vitamin C that can lighten up dark spots.
Here is how to use lemon juice to get rid of dark spots:
- Soak a cotton ball in lemon juice and rub it on the affected area. Let it dry and rinse it with cold water. Use this remedy for 2 weeks until dark sports are gone.
- If you have sensitive skin, add honey, rose water, or plain water to the lemon juice. Apply it in the same way.
- Avoid applying lemon juice on lesions or open sores on the skin.
Potato is a great remedy for eliminating dark spots and skin blemishes. Potatoes have bleaching effects that stimulate fading of blemishes, scars, and dark spots on the skin. Also, potato is rich in starch, which reduces hyperpigmentation and improves skin health.
Here is how to use potatoes to get rid of dark spots:
- Apply slices of potato directly to the affected area. Let it stay for a couple of minutes. Then, wash it with cold water.
- Peel one potato and then grate it. Add 1 teaspoon of honey to the grated potato. Apply the paste to your face and let it stay for 15 minutes. Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- Extract the juice of one potato and add a pinch of turmeric powder and lemon juice to it. Apply the paste to the affected area and let it stay for a few minutes. Rinse it with cold water.
Buttermilk is very efficient in getting rid of dark spots. It helps fade dark spots and blemishes. Moreover, buttermilk contains lactic acid that brightens the complexion and reduces hyperpigmentation.
Here is how to use buttermilk to get rid of dark spots:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of tomato juice and 4 teaspoons of buttermilk. Apply the paste to the affected area and let it stay for 15 minutes. Rinse with water.
- If you do not have buttermilk at home, dab a cotton ball in milk and apply it to the dark spots. Let it stay for 10 minutes. Then, rinse with water. Repeat this remedy twice a day.
4. Aloe Vera
Due to its potent healing properties, Aloe Vera acts as a corrector of dark spots and blemishes. It contains polysaccharides that promote the growth of new skin cells and reduce the appearance of new dark spots.
Here is how to use Aloe Vera to get rid of dark spots:
- Extract Aloe Vera gel from an Aloe leaf. Apply the gel to the affected spots. Massage the area for a couple of minutes. Let it dry and rinse your face with lukewarm water. Use Aloe Vera gel to remove dark spots twice a day.
- You can also use a cloth to remove the gel.
5. Mulberry extract
Mulberry can hinder the production of melanin by blocking tyrosinase activity. It also contains arbutin, a compound that possesses skin-lightening properties.
Here is how to use mulberry extract to get rid of dark spots:
- Mix 6 – 10 mulberries in a blender and add honey. Apply the mask to your face and let it stay for 20 minutes. Rinse it with lukewarm water.
Turmeric is one of the most beneficial natural remedies for eliminating dark spots on your face. It hinders free radical damage and reduces discoloration and hyperpigmentation.
Here is how to use turmeric to get rid of dark spots:
- Mix lemon juice, some milk, and 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder. Apply the paste to the affected areas. Let it stay for a couple of minutes and rinse it with lukewarm water. Repeat this remedy twice a week.
Almonds can help brighten and lighten the skin. Thanks to their high content of antioxidants, vitamin E, and healthy fats, almonds can reduce hyperpigmentation and maintain glowing skin.
Here is how to use almonds to get rid of dark spots:
- Soak 8 – 10 almonds in milk and let them stay overnight. In the morning, peel off their skin and grind them. Add ½ a teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of sandalwood and mix all the ingredients well. Apply the paste on your face and let it stay for half an hour. Rinse it with lukewarm water. Repeat this treatment once or twice a week.
- Almond massage can brighten the complexion, reduce hyperpigmentation, and relieve sun damage.
8. Green tea
Green tea is very beneficial for skin health. It hinders tyrosinase activity and thus reduces the production of melanin. Moreover, due to its high content of vitamin C, green tea can prevent the accumulation of melanin in some skin areas.
Here is how to use green tea to get rid of dark spots:
- Apply cold bags of green tea to the affected area. Let them stay for 15 minutes. Green tea bags are very beneficial for treating under eye pigmentation.
- Mix banana, green tea, and kiwi juice to prepare a face mask. Apply the mask on your face and let it stay for 20 minutes. Then, wash it with lukewarm water.
Papaya contains enzymes that help reduce hyperpigmentation. Namely, it contains papain, an enzyme, which exfoliates the skin and eliminates dark spots. Also, due to its cleaning properties, papaya can cleanse skin impurities.
Here is how to use papaya to get rid of dark spots:
- Apply papaya pulp to the skin. Let it stay for 20 minutes and rinse it with lukewarm water. Repeat it once or twice a week.
- Add lime juice to grated papaya and apply the mixture to the affected spots. Let it stay for 15 minutes and rinse off with water. Repeat twice a week.
- Papaya skin can be used as a knee and elbow scrub.
10. Licorice extract
Licorice extract contains glabridin, which has skin-lightening effects. It is effective at reducing dark spot formation on the skin and maintaining healthy skin.
Here is how to use licorice extract to get rid of dark spots:
- Use 1 part of licorice extract and 10 parts of water to see if this mixture causes skin irritation or other skin issues.
- Soak a cloth into the solution and apply it to the affected areas for 10 – 15 minutes per day.
- If it does not lead to skin irritation, you can gradually increase the concentration of licorice extract.
- Consult your doctor to check your dark spots or skin variations and find out whether they are caused by some serious health condition.
- Avoid using too much make-up because it is loaded with chemicals.
- Remove your make-up before going to bed.
- Wear sunscreen to protect your skin from UV
- If you have sores, lesions, or open wounds, do not exfoliate the skin
- Prevent skin dryness by applying moisturizer on your skin on a regular basis
- Stick to a healthy and balanced diet, which is rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Drink plenty of water during the day and stay hydrated.
- Over-exfoliation can lead to skin damage. When you use an exfoliant, always follow the directions.